St Elizabeth's Ladies Auxiliary
First established in 1911 as the "Ladies Aid of St. Elizabeth's Hospital", it defined its purpose as according to the 1912 BY-LAWS as "the Ladies Aid organization shall be to render any assistance to the hospital which may lie within its power. This purpose may be carried out through general contact with the public, by such activites within the hospital as may meet the approval of the director of the hospital, and by raising funds by any means having the approval of the governing body of the hospital".
Today the organization still operates true to the original objectives of providing assistance to the hospital to enhance the care of patients. At this time our prime focus is to raise funds that are donated to the Humboldt District Hospital Foundation for purchase of equipment for Heart Health Care in the hospital.
In addition to the purchase of capital equipment, the Auxiliary also:
- Provides a gift for the Hospital's "New Year's Baby"
- Provides a scholarship to a Humboldt Collegiate Institute graduate student pursuing studies in health care
- Provides treats on Christmas Day to patients in the Humboldt District Hospital
From funds available, in 2008, the Auxiliary has donated $55,000.00 that provided $15,000 pledged for a room in the new hospital, $16,000.00 towards Echo Cardiogram technology and $24,000.00 for an ECG machine for the Intensive Care Unit and a Blood Pressure Machine. This equipment will be transferred to the new hospital.
The Auxiliary raises funds through events that include:
- Pie and Coffee sale
- Annual Raffle
- "Hospital Tag Day" community canvas
- Greek Souvlaki and Dessert Street Luncheon
- Chocolate Bar Drive
- Christmas Bake Sale and Basket Raffle
- Ongoing "Gift Bar" in the hospital
The Auxiliary is a non-denominational organization and we welcome new members who want to contribute their time and effort to help improve the quality of care that better equipment allows our hospital to provide.
If you are interested in joining the St. Elizabeth's Ladies Auxiliary, please contact one of the following for assistance:
- Coleen Hill, President - 682-4730
- Anne Niebrugge, Secretary - 682-1535
- Rose Watts - Treasurer - 682-2430
Meetings are held the first Tuesday of each month except July and August.