Our History

History of Foundation

The foundation was formerly known as the St. Elizabeth’s Hospital Foundation.  It was formed in 1986 to act as a sister and support organization to St. Elizabeth’s Hospital.

In 2008, the foundation changed its name to the Humboldt District Hospital Foundation.  The Foundation is administered by a volunteer board of directors which represents people throughout the district.

History of Hospital

On May 14, 1911, three sisters were welcomed into Muenster by the Benedictine Fathers, who had just started a mission in the Humboldt Dioceses. The only doctor in town was a Dr. Barry, who wanted them to immediately start caring for the sick. The Abbot did not agree as the people’s expectations would not be met and that they would lose faith in them before construction would begin.  After much negotiating for a piece of land, they finally purchased 50 acres from Mr. Flory and also some land from the town, “which was very expensive.”

When the government gave approval for the construction of the new hospital its original plan was for a 20-bed hospital. In order to obtain the needed loan for the construction of the hospital, twelve men had to put up collateral for the sisters.  The loan was obtained from a Benedictine Monastery in the US, as no banking institution in Canada trusted them to repay the debt.

On October 3, 1912 the first St. Elizabeth’s Hospital was blessed. The present hospital was blessed in 1955 with 75 beds and in 1988 extended to 88 beds. At the present time we are funded for 32 beds.

In May 1999, the Franciscan Sisters of St. Elizabeth, who have always owned and operated the hospital, realized their numbers were declining. They approached the Catholic Health Corporation to bring their expertise to St. Elizabeth’s Hospital.  On March 1, 2000, along with the approval of the Central Plains Health District Board at that time, transfer of ownership took place. The official date was May 15, 2000. The Catholic Health Corporation had agreed to operate it as a Catholic Institution, maintaining the values and mission of St. Elizabeth’s Hospital.

On October 31, 2007, St. Elizabeth’s Hospital amalgamated with the Saskatoon Health Region.  The name was changed to the Humboldt District Hospital and became a publicly run facility. The City of Humboldt is the sole member of the Foundation.

 

Homepage

Donors

Complex Virtual Tour

News Releases

Contact

Donations

Who We Are
> HDHF Staff and Board
> Our History
> Annual Report

Ways of Giving
> Donations
> Leave a Legacy
> Events

Capital Campaign
> The Project
> Areas to equip
> Campaign goal
> How you can contribute
> Contribution History
Volunteers
> St.Elizabeths Ladies Auxiliary
Humboldt District Hospital Foundation
1210 - 9th Street North • P.O. Box 1740
Humboldt, SK S0K 2A0
Phone: 306.682.4450
Fax: 306.682.4458
Email: 
Website by COWS (c) 2008 • Visit COWSdirectory.com Admin Login